The Next Meeting of
The First Fleet Fellowship Vic Inc.
will be held on
Sunday – 17 August 2014 at 1.00pm
(Committee meets 10.30 am)
Guest Speaker: Ian Crawford
Topic: Crawford Productions & Dramas of early Television
Venue: Meeting Room, Mission to Seafarers
717 Flinders Street, Melbourne.
Parking available in the Multi Storey Car Park next door to the Mission in Siddeley Street Melbourne (street entrances from Flinders Street) :Flat rate of $11.00 Sundays
There is also all day parking at the rear (access drive at the back of the Mission) – weekend rates apply
City Circle Trams pass the Mission doors and its in walking distance from the
Southern Cross Railway Station
The Mission to Seafarers Victoria or MTSV is a voluntary not for profit organisation under the auspices of the Anglican Church, offering practical and spiritual support to the seafaring community by way of a safe place for rest and relaxation, comfort in time of distress, aid in emergencies and assistance in case of injustice. The Mission was established in Port Melbourne by the Victorian Bethel Union in 1857. During 1905 the Mission to Seamen Victoria was created from the amalgamation of the London Mission to Seamen and the Victorian Seamen’s Mission.
The Building: The first Mission building in Melbourne was at Sandridge (now known as Port Melbourne), by the 1890s most ships were berthing along the Yarra River and there was a need to establish a branch in the central Melbourne area. A site in Siddeley Street (close to the river) was leased from the Melbourne Harbour Trust and construction of the first Mission building in Melbourne commenced in 1907. This land was required for port expansion and the site of the current building was allocated to the Mission in 1915.
The Building complex was designed by Walter Butler and built in two stages between 1916 and 1919. The funds required to build the complex came from fundraising by the Ladies Harbour Guild and a government grant. The Mission complex is architecturally significant as being a fine urban example of the Arts and Crafts Style in Melbourne. It consists of the St Peters the Mariner Chapel an extensive Clubroom and Administration area, the Chaplain’s house, a small cottage and the Norla Dome (the roof over the old gym room).
Today the Port of Melbourne is an extremely busy place with its large container vessels discharging cargo. The seafarers make use of the MTSV port facilities in the Melbourne, Geelong and Hastings. The service offers free transport to and from port and the Seafarers Flying Angel Club, with phone and internet for seafarers to contact their families etc.
SUPPORTING THE MISSION TO SEAFARERS
Open daily from 12noon to 7pm. We are licensed and we have a curry lunch every Friday from 12-2pm.
|Seafarers’ welfare works to ensure our oceans and Coastlines are in safe hands|
Members celebrated their 30th Anniversary on 25 May 2014 – a mile stone in the history of the Fellowship
CHECK OUT OUR NEW TAB HONOURING 1914-1918.
OVER THE COMING MONTHS WE WILL BE HONOURING OUR FIRST FLEET ANZAC DESCENDANTS WITH THEIR STORIES AND ACCESSABLE PHOTOGRAPHS.
OPEN HOUSE MELBOURNE 26 AND 27 JULY 2014
Once again the historical buildings of Melbourne will open their doors for the public to visit. The Mission to Seafarers will be involved again this year and the First Fleet Fellowship will be setting up a display on Saturday 26 July.
Although the Open Day runs for 2 days in Melbourne, the Mission to Seafarers will only be opened one day Saturday 26 July.
What to see in the Mission: St Peters the Mariner Chapel, Norla Dome, Flying Angel Club Hall, the Celia Little Dining Room full of Maritime History and then rest in the secret garden space.
A sausage sizzle will be available from 12 noon. There is wheel chair access although there are some stairs. Self-guided tours with informed volunteer guides to assist when necessary